on the 3 February 2009: The “European Parliament Resolution on Wilderness in Europe” was passed, which calls on the EU Commission to:
- Develop a clear definition of wilderness
- Mandate the EEA and other relevant European bodies to map the last wilderness areas in Europe.
- Undertake a study on the values and benefits of wilderness.
- Develop an EU wilderness strategy.
- Develop wilderness areas and carefully manage re-wilding areas.
- Promote the values of wilderness and launch information campaigns to raise awareness about wilderness and its significance.
Under the EUContract No: 07.0307/2011/610387/SER/B.3 a mapping of potential Wildernes sin Europe was completed by October 2013. the report identified 522 Wilderness and Wild Areas in 27 EU Countries with a potential to meet the European Wilderness Quality Standard. The surprising finding was that 284 Wilderness had the potential to meet the more stringent Gold/Platinum Standard (Wilderness) and 238 were ideally suited to meet the Bronze/Silver Standard (Wild area).
This listed is now for the first time online, since we believe it urgently needs to be updated and modified. The European Wilderness Society is contributing to this list continuously and would appreciate if other wilderness oriented NGOs and GOs could do the same. For this we added a feedback form in which you can provide us feedback concerning the Wilderness in the database.
|Area ID||Site name||Country||Wilderness Cat||IUCN Cat||Area size (ha)||Wilderness size (ha)||EWQA||Natura 2000|
|Rothwald II (Wildnisgebiet Duerrenstein)||AT||A||Ia||299||299||FALSE||TRUE|
|RBI de la Sylve d'Argenson/ChizŽ||FR||B||Ia||2579||2579||FALSE||TRUE|
|Parco nazionale dell'Alta Murgia||IT||B||II||68033||20609||TRUE||TRUE|